Compiled by Nevada Wier / Most Gear linked to B&H website.
Also in addition to B&H; please consider Hunt’s Photo for your photographic needs.
(revised July 13, 2021)
- I sometimes use the ThinkTank SpeedRacer V2.0 for my Canon gear that has a built-in hip belt (now discontinued).
- I carry the Olympus micro-four thirds system (and sometimes my Canon gear) inside a
Mindshift PhotoCross 13 or the Mindshift PhotoCross 13 Backpack
DIGITAL SLR & MIRRORLESS
For a special offer from LifePixel for Infrared Conversion please use the above link.
Converted Infrared Mirrorless Cameras:
- Canon EOS R with 24-105mm f/4 lens with Full Spectrum conversion
Filters used: 590nm, 665nm, 720nm, Hyper Color, Visible Bandpass
- OM-D EM-1 Mark II with Enhanced Color conversion
CANON RF LENSES (so far)
OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 LENSES
FLASH ACCESSORIES for CANON
FLASH ACCESSORIES for OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1
Check this out to make your own diffuser out of bubble wrap. Brilliant.
PORTABLE LED LIGHT PANELS
BACK UP GEAR -- SOMETIMES USED ON TRAVEL & ASSIGNMENTS
- Black Rapid straps www.blackrapid.com (keeps weight off my neck and my back straighter). I use Optech Media and Battery Holsters on straps to hold extra battery and microfiber cloth.
ACCESSORIES IN CAMERA BAG
MORE ACCESSORIES (that travel in checked luggage, sometimes in a Pelican case or soft sides cases to save weight)
- Accessory bag: black duct table, small towel, lens cleaning fluid, super glue, screw drivers, Leatherman tool, Q-tips, cleaning cloths, filter grip, extra lens caps, pens, Sharpies
- Visible Dust Sensor Cleaning: For everyday dust cleaning: Artic Butterfly, Zeelon Blower, mini Quasar sensor loupe 7x, UltraMXD-Vswabs. If there is a smear: VDust Plus Sensor cleaning solution. www.visibledust.com
- Separate tripod bag (kept inside tripod case): extra quick release tripod plates for my tripod, flash release cords, etc.
- Separate battery bag: Rechargeable NiMh AA, lithium AA batteries, AA and AAA alkaline batteries, non-fused power strip or fused power strip (110 or 220 depending on destination)
- Separate cord bag: Extra laptop power, essential adapters and cords, and duplicates of important cords.
FLASH CARDS & READER
(I recommend SSD drives for travel. The brands below are equally good)
TRIPOD and BALLHEADS
Honestly, I rarely use a tripod. I hand-hold 98 – 100 percent of the time but if I do…
(I do not use a tripod often, and have found this to be the perfect compact tripod for when I must use one.)
- I recommend GOAL ZERO Nomad 5 Solar Panel with Flip 24 Power bank (2 iPhone charges). Very lightweight and portable.
- I am currently test-driving the larger Nomad 20 Solar Panel to use with the Venture 75 Power Bank so I can charge at least two Canon LP-E6NH and an iPhone. More details to come.
For the main international flight: I put my camera bag(s) inside a regulation size 22” Eagle Creek roller carry-on that also holds my hard drives, extra camera body, camera charger, and such. I take all my little accessories out of my camera bag and put them in a separate pouch, so everything is simple to hand check if they ask to look inside. I carry a briefcase (see above) as my “purse” with my MacBook Pro computer and things I need on the flight.
IF I have a big assignment and need to carry extra gear that I can’t hand carry: I pack them inside a medium sized 1500 Pelican case (with all the inserts removed) and put it inside my duffel bag padded by all my clothes and such. This bag will be checked in. I use TSA locks on my checked luggage.
Once I get to my destination, I reorganize everything so that I leave a bag at the hotel (usually I return to the same city for my return flight). I also leave the roller bag that I used for carry-on. On my main trip, I usually only bring a soft suitcase for clothes (and my Pelican case for gear if it is needed), along with my camera bag and small bag with my computer (although sometimes I also leave this behind and put the computer in the Pelican case).
- Pelican 1500 Case or the smaller Pelican iM2100 Storm Case
- Eagle Creek Tarmac 22” Carry-on bag for international flights.
- Eagle Creek Tarmac 25” I put my pelican case inside this for international flights.
PAPER FOR PRINTING
FOR INFRARED: Matte Paper
- Hahnemühle Photo Rag® Bright White, 310gsm
- Canson Infinity Rag Photographique 310gsm
- Canson Baryta Photographique, 310gsm
X-RITE IS NOW CALIBRITE! with a fabulous new website and updated products!!!!
I'm proud to be a Calibrite Ambassador (have a peek!)
- Calibrite ColorChecker Display
- Calibrite ColorChecker Passport Photo 2